Saturday, April 14, 2018

Mount Stewart Gardens


  Mount Stewart gardens, located in County Down, Northern Ireland are part of the Neoclassical Mount Stewart estate.  It was built in 1744 by the Stewart family, holders of the title, Marquess of Londonberry.  Most of the gardens, however can be attributed to Edith, Lady of Londonberry, who designed them in the 1920s.

 

Some of the many gardens include the Shamrock Garden, Sunken Garden, Spanish Garden, and the Italian Garden.  You'll see plenty of topiaries too, with such unusual shapes as dinosaurs, orangutans, and dodo birds.

 The gardens are open daily from 10 AM -6 PM.  Admission is 7 British pounds for adults and 3.50 British pounds for children.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to have a garden like that. Okay, I want the house to go with it, too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the house would be too much work. But I'll take the garden!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sherry - the gardens I expect are quite delightful - the photo looks it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous looking garden. I love the classic gardens that you find with stately homes and I love to imagine the posh people of the past wandering amongst the beautiful flowers.
    Pamela @ Days of Fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine them dressed in their fancy clothes, strolling around.

      Delete